Upper Corner Picture of Murphy Hall Building
1. What is "whistleblowing"?
Reporting suspected improprieties is often referred to as "whistleblowing" and the reporter is often referred to as a "whistleblower." The University encourages members of its community to report suspected improprieties so that any intentional or unintentional violations of applicable laws, regulations, and policies may be detected and corrected.

2. How do I report suspected improprieties?
You can report suspected improprieties to your supervisor, department head, or another University official with responsibility over the matter, or through the University's Whistleblower Hotline (800-403-4744, http://universityofcalifornia.edu/hotline ).

3. How does the University's Whistleblower Hotline work?
You may either make an oral report by calling the Whistleblower Hotline (800-403-4744) or submit a written report on the website ( http://universityofcalifornia.edu/hotline ) and upload electronic files (e.g., PDF, JPG) as evidence. The hotline is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and phone operators can take down reports in multiple languages. After making a report, you will be given an access code that will allow you to log in or call the hotline at a later time to view or be read any responses, requests, or updates the University may have posted in response to your report.

4. What if I suspect improper conduct has occurred but am not certain of all of the facts? Should I report what I know?
If you believe that improper activity has occurred or is occurring, you should report all of the facts you know. Do not investigate the case on your own. The University will determine whether the information provided is sufficiently specific or credible to warrant an investigation. If you are unclear on what University policies allow or require, you may wish to consult the policies directory at www.policies.ucla.edu and contact the responsible department for the applicable policy for clarification on whether the action or behavior you witnessed violates that policy.

5. Can I report anonymously?
Yes, you may submit an anonymous report. The best way to submit an anonymous report is through the Whistleblower Hotline, which will give you a unique password associated with your report to allow you to log in at a later time to view updates on the case. This creates a clear record of the information reported and allows the University to contact you through the hotline in the event more information is needed to support an investigation. Be aware that if an anonymous report does not contain sufficient information for the University to act on and the report is submitted by mail or another means that does not allow the University to contact the reporter for more information, the case may be closed without further action.

6. What kind of conduct counts as "improper governmental activity" or IGA?
IGA usually involves the violation of a State or federal law or regulation and directly involves the University as either the victim of the unlawful activity or the perpetrator of the unlawful activity through the action of an employee. Not all instances of improper conduct will constitute IGA. For example, workplace conduct issues that may violate University or departmental policy often do not violate any federal or State law or regulation and thus do not amount to IGAs.

7. My supervisor is a bad manager and mistreats me. Can I file a grievance through the Whistleblower Hotline? Grievances cannot be submitted through the Whistleblower Hotline. If you are seeking a personal remedy for workplace conduct issues, you must follow the applicable personnel or union complaint or grievance processes, which are often subject to strict filing
requirements and deadlines. You should promptly contact your union representative or the appropriate human resources office for information about available support resources and grievance or complaint options. These offices will be able to direct you to the appropriate campus department for your particular concern.

8. Who at UCLA is in charge of addressing the report I submitted through the Whistleblower Hotline?
The Administrative Policies & Compliance Office (APC) is responsible for receiving UCLA-related reports submitted through the Whistleblower Hotline. Depending on the subject matter of your report, APC may refer the report to one of the many campus units with compliance and investigative responsibilities and expertise. See Attachment A for a list of campus compliance units and their respective areas of responsibility.

9. I reported improper conduct. Will it be investigated? How long will it take?
Once a report has been submitted, it is up to the University to assess the report and determine whether an investigation is warranted based on the information provided, how to investigate, whether misconduct has occurred, and how to address the situation. This process, especially if an investigation is initiated, will take time. A report about the same suspected impropriety should not be repeatedly submitted to the same department or submitted to different departments. Duplicative reports waste investigative resources and will likely delay the University's response.

10. Will I be updated on the status of the University's response to my report of suspected impropriety?
You should not assume that you will receive updates or be involved in the University's response to your report. If you provided a way to be contacted, either directly or through the Whistleblower Hotline, you may be notified if the University has determined not to pursue an investigation or if an investigator needs to speak with you. Or you may be notified after the conclusion of an investigation whether your suspicions were substantiated.

11. What if others find out I am a whistleblower and make it difficult for me to work here?
You should promptly contact your union representative or the appropriate human resources office (Campus Human Resources, Health Human Resources, or Academic Personnel Office) for information about available support resources and grievance options, including applicable deadlines. If you believe you are being retaliated against for activities protected by the University's Whistleblower Protection Policy (available online at http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/1100563/WPP ), review UCLA Procedure 620.1 for guidance and information about where and how to file a formal whistleblower retaliation complaint. Because there are many types of retaliation, not all of which are covered by the Whistleblower Protection Policy, it is best to first consult with your union or human resources representative to identify the options available for your specific situation.

12. I've been told by the University that I am the subject of an investigation. Will I have the opportunity to tell my side of the story? Can I consult with a lawyer?
You will be given an opportunity to respond to material points of evidence to be used in the investigation report unless there are compelling reasons not to do so. You may consult with anyone you choose, including a lawyer or a union or employment representative. Keep in mind that an investigation is a neutral fact-finding process and the decision to conduct an investigation is not an accusation.

13. I've been told by the University that I am the subject of an investigation. Will I be informed of the outcome of the investigation?
Yes, you will be informed whether the allegations against you are substantiated. If the allegations against you are substantiated, any disciplinary action will be determined by management and will be administered in accordance with applicable student, academic personnel, or staff conduct and disciplinary procedures.